Zotero is a new free bibliographic tool that is designed to help you “collect, manage, and cite” research sources. It boasts of many useful features such as:
– Automatic capture of citation information from web pages
– Flexible notetaking with autosave
– Runs right in your web browser
– Storage of PDFs, files, images, links, and whole web pages
– Fast, as-you-type search through your materials
– Playlist-like library organization, including saved searches (smart collections) and tags
It does have some weaknesses:
– It is not web-based – you must import your data when using a computer other than your own.
– It only runs using the Firefox2 browser. It will not work on Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.
For a list of known issues and planned features click here.