The Rosenthal Building is named after a former member of the Board of Trustees, Mr. Emil Rosenthal. He was appointed to the Board of Trustees of Fayetteville State College by Governor Ehringhaus in 1935.
The building was erected as a classroom building and completed in 1966 to house an art studio, a dark room for developing pictures, and music classrooms for the choir and band. The choir room was equipped with opera chairs, a stage, and ten pianos. The dedication program describes the building as a “two-story air conditioned brick and steel structure, containing an area of 25,600 square feet. The hexagonal area of the main floor is designed for music.”
Mr. Rosenthal was born in New York City in 1897. He graduated from John Hopkins University in 1916 and continued to further his education at the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania. He also enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1917 and spent twenty-two months in France. Mr. Rosenthal was a business man in several cities including Baltimore, M.D, Wilson, N.C. Raleigh, N.C, and Goldsboro, N.C between 1919-1960.