Our goal is to equip students with the ability to find, select, and evaluate appropriate information resources to ensure their academic success at Fayetteville State University and beyond.
Information Literacy allows students to evaluate information critically, as well as use that information ethically. We foster this strategic goal by offering Bibliographic or Library Instruction.
Classes are typically held in Chesnutt Library in our Conference Room on the 3rd Floor.
Instruction for Students/Classes:
- Faculty members may request library instruction sessions for their classes, which are provided by members of the Reference Department and Library Staff who hold a Masters of Library Science Degree.
- Each library instruction session is customized to meet the needs of individual classes and research assignments.
- One-on-one appointments can also be requested and made with the librarians, depending upon their schedule and the depth of the instruction needed.
Possible Library Instruction Topics Include:
- Identifying and using appropriate keywords, subject headings, and concepts to build a search strategy
- Learning Boolean search techniques to identify relevant information in databases
- Finding relevant reference sources for background information
- Searching the online catalog for books and/or other materials
- Identifying and searching relevant databases on a selected topic
- Distinguishing between scholarly articles (academic, research, peer-reviewed) and non-scholarly articles (newspapers, magazines, trade journals).
- Identifying and using primary sources versus secondary sources
- Locating, selecting and evaluating scholarly articles
- Critically evaluating information sources such as books and articles
- Locating, selecting, and evaluating websites
- Documenting resources used in a particular citation style (APA, MLA, ASA, Chicago, and using RefWorks, a citation management software)
You may also contact the liaison or Subject Librarian responsible for your department.
Librarian and Assigned Liaison Areas
|Diana Amerson||Head of Bibliographic Instruction and Distance Education
|Jan Whitfield||Head of Public Services and Information Literacy
|Robert Foster||Head of Reference and Interlibrary Loan
|Velappan Velappan||Head of Circulation
|Xian Peng||Head of Cataloging
|Jinong Sun||Head of Acquisitions
|Vera Hooks||Head of Periodicals